The EGTSTM electric taxiing system provides a viable solution to achieve lower cost and greener operations.
EGTS electric taxiing system can significantly improve airline operational efficiency by reducing fuel and other taxi related costs, as well as providing environmental benefits by slashing the carbon and other emissions created during taxi operations.
Using the Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) generator to power motors in the main wheels, EGTS allows aircraft to taxi and pushback fully autonomously without requiring the use of aircraft engines. Two of the main wheels are equipped with an electric motor while unique power electronics and system controllers give pilots total control of the aircraft's speed and direction during taxi operations.
Meeting Airline Needs
With operating costs and environmental initiatives at the top of airline concerns, EGTS provides a viable solution to achieve lower cost and greener operations. By adopting this new and innovative aircraft system, airlines can save several hundred thousand dollars per aircraft per year and improve their bottom line while reducing the environmental impact of airport ground operations.
- Lower Fuel Burn – Today's taxi operations for the global shorthaul fleet can burn as much as five million tons of fuel per year. EGTS can result in savings of up to 4% of total block fuel budget, or on average $250,000 savings per aircraft per year.
- Improved OnTime Performance – Aircraft equipped with the system will be able to "pushback and go" more quickly, thus reducing both gate and apron congestion, improving on-time departure performance and saving valuable time on the ground.
- Greener Operation – EGTS offers up to 75% in carbon emission reductions and up to 50% reduction in NOx emissions during airport taxiing operations.
- Added Value – System operation eliminates the need for aircraft pushback and towing via ground equipment, extending main engine life, enhancing ground crew safety, and reducing noise in the airport environment.
EGTS will be available as both a retrofit and forward fit option, delivering significant environmental benefits and greatly improving aircraft operating efficiency
Partnership Advantages Honeywell and Safran Provide:
- Strong corporate backing and market leading commitment to innovation in aircraft systems
- Combined 8+ years of background in development of green taxiing technology proven system expertise
- Honeywell – avionics, power systems and APU integration
- Safran – landing gear systems
- Global network of support services
- Lowers block fuel needs
- Slashes on-ground emissions by 50-75% (NOx, carbon)
- Eliminates the need for tractors/tugs for ground operations
- Improves On Time Performance with "pushback and go", reducing pushback time by 60%
- Decreases engine maintenance by limiting Foreign Object Debris (FOD) damage
- Reduces noise at the gate area
- Increases safety for ground personnel